Thanks are due especially to Susan Reid who has contributed the large number of the MP3 clips on this site, and to David Kaynor who taught us many of these tunes.
Also, thanks to to several online resources for the material on this site. Chief among them:
- The Session.org and
- JC’s ABC Tune Finder [tunefind] where you can find far more comprehensive catalogs of tunes.
Other traditional music sources:
- Blue Rose, “largely traditional music of Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Denmark”.
- CapeIrish,com, a hugely comprehensive but difficult-to-navigate site for Irish tunes
- Folk Tune Finder
- FolkWiki, “a wiki with notes of Swedish and Scandinavian folk.” This site is in Swedish but if you are using Google Chrome, and possibly in other browsers, you’ll be offered a link to translate the site into English.
- Identitairs Quebecois, a site in both French and English but which seems not to have been updated since 2013
- Maine Fiddle Camp’s website
- Montreal Sessions Tune Book: Tunes of Quebec
- Nigel Gatherer’s Traditional Music
- Nordic Dancers NW, sheet music for many Scandinavian tunes
- Old Time Fiddle Tunes
- Traditional Music Library
- Traditional Scottish Folk Music
- the Traditional Tune Archive, formerly the Fiddler’s Companion
- Amazing Slow Downer, https://www.ronimusic.com/
Software intended for musicians wanting to slow down (or speed up) music without changing the pitch.
Available for Mac and Windows computers, iPhone/iPad and Android. $49.95 but well worth it.
- Audacity, http://www.audacityteam.org/.
Audacity® is free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.
- Hand Brake, https://handbrake.fr/.
HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs including audio, such as MP3.
- Tunepal, https://tunepal.org/index.html#!/record.
Tunepal is a search-by-playing search engine for traditional Irish, Welsh, Scottish, Breton, American marching band and Canadian tunes. By playing a 12 second extract from a traditional tune on an an instrument such as the flute or fiddle, you can retrieve score matches from a database of over 24,000 music scores, view and playback, share and download the score, or find and play other recordings of the tune.
Special thanks also to my daughter and Andy Christiansen for technical help and to my wife for technical and musical help and for her forbearance while I work on this site.